Pipeline companies lobby tar sands plan behind closed doors while denying their intention
NRCM, NWF, NRDC, Sierra Club Maine, Environment Maine, 350.org
Portland, Maine—A new analysis released today by NRDC, NWF, and other environmental groups shows that ExxonMobil is the majority owner of the pipeline that cuts across Maine and New England—a pipeline that is the subject of an emerging proposal to transport tar sands. ExxonMobil’s Canadian subsidiary, Imperial Oil Limited, owns 76 percent of the pipeline, while Canadian oil giant Suncor Energy owns the remaining 24 percent. These companies are among the biggest developers of Canadian tar sands.
In addition, the groups today released information obtained through a Freedom of Access Act request, submitted by NWF, showing that Governor Paul LePage met with the Portland Pipe Line Corporation in October 2011 to talk about tar sands oil, though the company continued to publicly deny that the project was moving forward throughout 2012.